Saturday, October 4, 2008

Colosseo.




Had my first official walking tour of Rome yesterday and i have to say i much prefer just being able to wander around checking out the cafes then i do trekking it over the city and looking at ancient ruins. It was interesting though and was great to be able to catch up with the friends i made on the plane and the Australians going to the other schools over here. First we visited the Roman Forum, which wasn't so great, but looks amazing from above. After that we went to the Colosseo which is absolutely amazing, but i'm sad to say that Lily let me down because i only saw one cat, as opposed to the eight that she had in the background of her photo. The statues and different artworks they have on the top level are pretty great though.


Circo Massima is a complete waste of time and as interesting as i'm sure it would have been, it pretty much just looks like an old park now. I'd have to say the best part of the day.. other than when we got to hang out at the bar later, would of had to have been when they took us to a park that looked over the whole of Roma and looked like it was out of a movie.. it also had cats running around everywhere which was awesome.


It took me the whole of today to recover and, though i was supposed to be going out tonight for Ebony's 17th, i could only muster up enough energy to take my new shoes, which are absolutely awesome, for a walk to try and buy stamps so i can send everyone postcards.. i forgot about the whole problem of me not speaking italian so after going into 2 tobbaceria i finally found one that had a customer who could translate for us.


So to make up for not going out tonight i promised Ebony i'd go to Romics with her tomorrow.. Romics- the Roman Comic Book Convention. I can't help but laugh..

2 comments:

Tom H-B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom H-B said...

Hi Hannah,
Prue sent me the link to this a week or so ago and Tim showed me the first couple of entries a few weeks or so ago. Glad to hear you're having more fun with things now than earlier.

I agree wholeheartedly that going to school and plodding around looking at old stuff is a drag. When I was in Italy we ended up asking if we could bludge out of the classes and just chill out in an empty room. I did most of my catchup sleeping in that room because I discovered re-runs of Neighbours and Secret Life of Us being screened at about 4am on a cable TV channel.

Keep an eye out in cafes for their gluggy hot chocolate. It's amazing! They make it really thick and dense. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on in Sydney by now....

Also, about the only thing more amusing than Italians singing along to American pop is their Euro Pop, be it French, Italian, German, whatever...

Anyway. Hope you keep having fun.

Cheers,
Tom.